Home›Articles›A Cathedral Built to Rank Beside a Royal RelicArticlesA Cathedral Built to Rank Beside a Royal RelicCitation FormatsGeneral ReferenceGeneral Reference Citation TextDivinity Atlas. "A Cathedral Built to Rank Beside a Royal Relic." Accessed August 30, 2026. https://divinity.interactivelion.com/articles/cathedral-of-notre-dame-de-paris-a-cathedral-built-to-rank-beside-a-royal-relic.Copy General ReferenceAPA StyleAPA Style Citation TextDivinity Atlas. (n.d.). A Cathedral Built to Rank Beside a Royal Relic. Retrieved August 30, 2026, from https://divinity.interactivelion.com/articles/cathedral-of-notre-dame-de-paris-a-cathedral-built-to-rank-beside-a-royal-relicCopy APA StyleBibTeXBibTeX Citation Text@misc{divinityatlas-a-cathedral-built-to-rank-beside-a-royal, author = {Divinity Atlas}, title = {A Cathedral Built to Rank Beside a Royal Relic}, year = {2026}, url = {https://divinity.interactivelion.com/articles/cathedral-of-notre-dame-de-paris-a-cathedral-built-to-rank-beside-a-royal-relic}, note = {Accessed August 30, 2026} }Copy BibTeXLearn MoreCross-Tradition ConnectionsSourcesComments (0)Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)Learn MoreA Cathedral Built to Rank Beside a Royal Relic Notre-Dame's construction, begun in 1163 under Bishop Maurice de Sully and continuing for close to two centuries, made it one of the most ambitious Gothic buildings of its age, but its role as custodian of major Passion relics came slightly later and through a specific royal transaction rather than through the cathedral's own foundation. King Louis IX, later canonised as Saint Louis, purchased the Crown of Thorns from Baldwin II, the financially desperate Latin emperor of Constantinople, in 1238 to 1239, paying a vast sum to redeem it from Venetian creditors to whom Baldwin had pawned it. Louis judged the relic too important for the cathedral alone and built the Sainte-Chapelle, a purpose-made royal reliquary chapel within the royal palace on the same island, specifically to house the Crown and the other Passion relics he acquired in the same years. The Crown of Thorns moved to Notre-Dame only later, after the Sainte-Chapelle lost its royal function following the French Revolution; the cathedral has held it since the nineteenth century as the closest surviving major ecclesiastical building to its original royal chapel, displaying it on Fridays in Lent and on Good Friday rather than continuously.Cross-Tradition ConnectionsArticle OnCathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris, Custodians & Museums Well-attested Source Divinity Atlas Long-Form Articles, First Editiontier 1SourcesDivinity Atlas Long-Form Articles, First Editiontier 1Comments (0)No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.Sign in to join the discussion.Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.Sign in to dispute this or suggest a correction.View At A Past YearThe atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.Show This Year