Learn More
A Single Book to Settle a Hundred Rival Hymnals
Before 1861 the Church of England had no hymnal of its own, only a chaotic field of more than a hundred competing collections, each parish or diocese choosing its own, with no expectation that a hymn sung in one church would carry the same tune anywhere else. The idea for a fix came out of a chance 1858 meeting on a train between two Oxford Movement clergymen, William Denton and Francis Henry Murray, who found they each already held a hymnal of their own and began discussing whether the two might be merged into one book good enough that other parishes would simply adopt it rather than keep compiling their own. Sir Henry Williams Baker took up the project and assembled a committee of roughly twenty clergy, who came to be known simply as the Proprietors, with William Henry Monk serving as music editor. A trial edition circulated in 1860 with diocesan approval before the first complete edition, 273 hymns strong, appeared from the publisher Novello and Co on 20 March 1861.
What made the book more than one more entry in an already crowded field was a decision that sounds obvious now and was not obvious then, printing the words and the tune together in a single volume rather than leaving congregations to match a text against whichever tune their own organist preferred. Baker called the finished work a companion to the Book of Common Prayer, and parishes agreed with him fast enough that a survey conducted barely three decades later, in 1892, found nearly seventy six percent of Church of England parishes already using it.
Cross-Tradition Connections
Sources
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.
Sign in to dispute this or suggest a correction.
View At A Past Year
The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.