Learn More
An Icon No One Living Has Fully Seen
The Kykkos Icon of the Virgin Mary, Panagia tou Kykkou, has spent centuries being simultaneously the most venerated object in the Church of Cyprus and one almost nobody has actually looked at directly. Its upper half has remained covered behind a protective tissue since at least the seventeenth century, and the last recorded occasion on which anyone viewed it fully was in 1669, when the Patriarch of Alexandria was permitted to do so. Popular belief holds that viewing the icon directly causes blindness, a tradition that has kept it veiled through the centuries since even as its reputation for miraculous intercession, including relief credited to it from a locust plague in 1760, has only grown.
Church tradition attributes the icon's painting to the Evangelist Luke himself, one of only three icons Orthodox tradition credits to Luke's own hand, and holds that it was later transferred from Constantinople to Cyprus and installed at the monastery founded around the end of the eleventh century under the patronage of the Byzantine emperor Alexios Komnenos. That attribution is devotional tradition passed down through pilgrim accounts rather than a claim independent art history can verify, and the icon's actual date and manner of production are not otherwise established by any evidence apart from the tradition itself, a limitation worth stating plainly given how central the Luke attribution is to how the icon is venerated.
Cross-Tradition Connections
Sources
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.
Sign in to dispute this or suggest a correction.
View At A Past Year
The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.