Learn More
A Museum Built Around One Local Controversy
The Runestone Museum exists specifically because of the Kensington Runestone rather than as a general local history museum that happened to acquire it, reflecting how thoroughly the stone came to define the small town of Alexandria's identity after Olof Ohman reported finding it entangled in tree roots on his farm in 1898. The stone passed through Ohman's own family and various local historical custodians over the following decades, its ownership generally uncontested even as its authenticity was fiercely disputed by outside scholars almost from the moment it was reported.
The museum's founding brought the stone into stable, professionally managed custody after decades in more informal local keeping, allowing it to be displayed consistently and interpreted for visitors rather than passed between private hands or occasionally lent to other institutions and world's fairs, as had happened earlier in the twentieth century. Unlike custodians of universally accepted historical objects, the Runestone Museum has built its exhibition explicitly around presenting the controversy itself, walking visitors through both the case for a genuine fourteenth century Norse inscription and the case for a nineteenth century immigrant hoax, rather than picking one side for its own institutional identity.
Cross-Tradition Connections
Sources
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.
Sign in to dispute this or suggest a correction.
View At A Past Year
The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.