Divinity Atlas

Sacred Correspondences
Articles

The Trust, the Subscription, and the Stone

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

Learn More
The Trust, the Subscription, and the Stone

What stands at Prabhas Patan today was built between 1947 and 1951. Almost none of it is old, and the people who built it were explicit that they were making something new on an old site.

1947

Vallabhbhai Patel, deputy prime minister of the new Indian union, visited the ruined site after the accession of Junagadh in 1947 and undertook that the temple would be rebuilt. He died in 1950, before it was finished.

The trust

K. M. Munshi, a writer and lawyer who was then a minister, carried the project through. The work was placed under a trust and financed substantially by public subscription rather than from government funds. That distinction mattered a great deal in 1951, and it is the reason the project was arranged that way in the first place.

The building

The architect Prabhashankar Sompura worked in the inherited temple-building tradition of his family and designed the new shrine in the Kailash Mahameru Prasada form, a tall spired Nagara plan of the kind the medieval temples of Gujarat and Rajasthan had used. It is a reconstruction in the sense of a new building in an old idiom, not a restoration of surviving fabric.

11 May 1951

Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, performed the installation of the linga on 11 May 1951. The invitation, and his acceptance of it, produced the argument set out in this entry's companion article.

For what happened at the site nine centuries earlier, see the entry on the raid of 1026.

Cross-Tradition Connections

Article On

Sources
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.