The Congregação Israelita Paulista was founded in November 1936 by Rabbi Fritz Pinkuss, among Jews who had left Germany, and grew into one of the largest congregations in Latin America. It is a Reform congregation with ties to the Conservative movement, and runs a school, a cemetery and social services alongside its synagogue in the Consolação district of São Paulo.