The building began as a fortress on the western edge of Paris under Philip Augustus around 1200, whose foundations are still visible in the basement. It was rebuilt as a royal residence in the Renaissance and extended repeatedly, and it stopped being the seat of the court when Louis XIV moved to Versailles in 1682, which left an enormous palace in the middle of a capital with no obvious use. Artists were lodged in it, academies met in it, and the idea of showing the royal collection there was discussed for decades before anything happened. The museum opened to the public in August 1793.
Its departments now include Near Eastern Antiquities, Egyptian Antiquities, Greek, Etruscan and Roman Antiquities, Islamic Art, paintings, sculpture, decorative arts, and prints and drawings, and the first four of those are why the atlas holds it at all.
The objects that matter here are ones that carry religion directly. The stele of the laws of Hammurabi, topped by the king before the sun god. The Mesha Stele, the ninth century BCE inscription of the king of Moab that names the god Chemosh and mentions Israel. The winged human-headed bulls from the palace at Khorsabad. The zodiac ceiling from the temple at Dendera. The seated scribe. Between them they are a large part of what survives of the religious record of the ancient Near East.