Divinity Atlas

Sacred Correspondences
Textual Witnesses

Book of Kells

Illuminated Gospel Books

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

The most elaborately decorated of the Insular gospel books and, by common consent, the high point of the style. It carries the four gospels in Latin, in a Vulgate text mixed with older readings, on vellum, with decoration of a density that has no real parallel: full carpet pages, portrait pages, and initials that expand until a single letter fills a page and dissolves into interlace, animals and human figures. Its text is not its strength, being carelessly copied in places, which tells you what the book was for. It was made to be seen on an altar rather than read at a desk. Where it was made is unsettled between Iona and Kells, and the Annals of Ulster record its theft in 1007 as the loss of the chief relic of the western world.

Facts
Disputed
Date Attributed
Trinity College Dublin, which holds the manuscript as MS 58, dates the Book of Kells to around the year 800 on the evidence of its decoration and script style, since the book carries no date or colophon naming a scribe or a place; the Columban monastic community that produced Insular gospel books of this class moved from Iona to Kells after Viking raids on Iona from 795 onward, so scholars remain divided over whether the book was begun on Iona and finished at Kells, made entirely at one site, or made entirely at the other. 2
Three positions are held and argued in print, on the evidence of the decoration's style, of the Columban community's own movements between Iona and Kells after the Viking raids, and of the pigments used; no consensus has formed on where the manuscript was made.
Physical Form
Material
Written on vellum (calfskin parchment). 1
Provenance
Provenance Note
The Annals of Ulster record the theft of the book from the stone church at Kells in 1007, its recovery after two months and twenty nights, and the loss of its gold cover 1
Physical Description
Condition
The manuscript is incomplete: it breaks off before the end of the Gospel of John, and no colophon survives naming who made it or when. 1
Identity
Script Type
Insular majuscule, in a single column, by several hands 2
Structure
Structure
The four gospels in Latin, with canon tables, prefaces and summaries; ten full-page illuminations survive 1
Custody
Current Location
Held by Trinity College Dublin, where it has been kept since the mid seventeenth century and is displayed in the Old Library. 2
Learn More
Four Gospels, Wrapped in Ornament

At its textual core, the Book of Kells is an ordinary object for its period, a copy of the four Gospels in Latin meant for use in the liturgy or for display on a church altar. What sets it apart is the density and ambition of its decoration, which treats ornament as inseparable from the sacred text rather than as mere embellishment around it. Full page illuminations mark major textual divisions, an image of the Virgin and Child, a depiction of Christ enthroned, elaborately decorated versions of the opening words of each Gospel, and even ordinary text pages are threaded through with interlace, spiraling knotwork and small figures of animals and humans worked into the letters themselves, so that reading the manuscript and looking at it are never fully separate acts.

That style situates the book within Insular art, the artistic tradition shared across early medieval Ireland and parts of Britain that fused Celtic ornamental traditions, spirals and knotwork with Anglo-Saxon animal interlace and Mediterranean Christian iconography arriving through the wider church. The manuscript is not complete: it breaks off before the end of the Gospel of John, and scholars generally read this as a loss during or after production rather than an intentional stopping point, since nothing in the surviving text suggests the project was meant to end where it does. No colophon names an artist or scribe, so, like much of the finest work from this period, the identities of the people who created it are unrecorded.

Decoration That Swallows the Text

The Book of Kells is usually described as the finest of the Insular gospel books, and the description is fair, but it can obscure what is strange about it. This is a gospel book in which the decoration does not accompany the text so much as consume it. On the Chi Rho page, the monogram that opens Matthew's account of the nativity expands until three letters occupy the whole leaf and disintegrate into spirals, interlace, animals, angels, and in one corner two cats watching mice steal a communion wafer. A reader looking for the sentence has to go hunting for it.

The pigments were expensive and were fetched from a long way off. The palette runs to orpiment, a poisonous arsenic sulphide that gives a gold-like yellow, verdigris, which has eaten through the vellum in places, and indigo. Several hands worked on the book, and they can be distinguished by how they handle a letter.

The Latin text, by contrast, is not good. It is a Vulgate crossed with older readings and copied with real carelessness, including at least one passage duplicated. That combination, a text treated casually and a decorative scheme treated as though nothing mattered more, tells you what the object was. It was not a study copy. It was made to be carried, displayed and venerated, and the Annals of Ulster describe it as a relic rather than as a book.

From Iona to Kells to Dublin

Scholarly consensus dates the manuscript's production to around 800 CE and traces its origin to the monastic community founded by Columba, or Colum Cille, on the island of Iona off Scotland's west coast, an important center of Insular Christian learning and art in the period. Viking raids on Iona in the early ninth century forced the community to relocate, eventually to Kells in Ireland, and the manuscript's creation was most likely begun at Iona and either finished or continued after that move, though the precise division of the work between the two sites, and whether it was completed at all in its intended form, remains uncertain.

The book's first firm documentary appearance comes in the Annals of Ulster under the year 1007, which record the theft of "the great Gospel of Colum Cille," described as the chief relic of the western world, from the sacristy of the church at Kells, and its recovery some months later stripped of its gold and jeweled cover, buried under sod. That entry both confirms the manuscript's presence at Kells by the early eleventh century and shows it was already regarded as an object of major religious and material value, prized enough to steal for its covering alone. It remained associated with Kells through the medieval period before passing into the custody of Trinity College Dublin in the seventeenth century, where it has stayed since, rebound in the nineteenth century into four volumes and now kept on permanent public display, with two volumes shown at a time, one opened to a decorated page and one to running text.

Stolen in 1007, and Trimmed in the Nineteenth Century

The manuscript's documented history begins with a crime. Under the year 1007 the Annals of Ulster record that the great gospel book of Colum Cille was taken by night from the western sacristy of the stone church at Kells, and the entry calls it the chief relic of the western world. It was found two months and twenty nights later, hidden under sods, and its cover of gold had been torn away. The cover was never recovered.

That single entry carries several things at once. It fixes the book at Kells by 1007. It shows what the thief valued, which was the metalwork rather than the gospels. And it explains an absence: the object as its makers finished it had a treasure binding, and what survives is the part they would have thought of as the inside.

The book stayed at Kells for another six centuries. In 1654 it was sent to Dublin for safekeeping while Cromwellian troops were quartered in the church, and it was given to Trinity College by Henry Jones, later Bishop of Meath, in the early 1660s. It has never left Ireland since.

The last irreversible damage was not done by a thief. A binder in 1821 trimmed the margins to square the leaves and cut into the decoration on several pages, removing parts of the ornament permanently. The 1953 rebinding into four volumes was done to allow display without further harm.

Cross-Tradition Connections

Belongs to Tradition

Source The Book of KellsBernard Meehan

Housed At

Given to Trinity College by Henry Jones in the early 1660s, after the book was sent from Kells to Dublin for safekeeping in 1654.

Related To

The earlier and plainer of the two great Insular gospel books held at Trinity College Dublin; Durrow is conventionally read as a forerunner to Kells's later, denser style.

Source The Book of KellsBernard Meehan
Sources
1. The Book of Kells
Bernard Meehan, Thames & Hudson, 2012View the Source
2. Trinity College Dublin, The Book of Kells (MS 58)
Trinity College Dublin Library
The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, 3rd revised edition
F. L. Cross and E. A. Livingstone (eds.), Oxford University Press, 2005View the Source
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.