Divinity Atlas

Sacred Correspondences
Articles

A Library Built Around What Was Given to It

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

Learn More
A Library Built Around What Was Given to It

The Library of Trinity College Dublin begins with the college itself in 1592, and its shape was set less by purchase than by donation. James Ussher's collection came in 1661. Henry Jones, later Bishop of Meath, gave the Book of Kells and the Book of Durrow in the early 1660s. The Fagel collection arrived in 1802. Legal deposit privilege was granted in 1801, and the library continues to receive material published in the United Kingdom and Ireland, which turned a college library into something closer to a national one by statute rather than by anybody's intent.

It now holds over six million printed volumes, with collections of journals, manuscripts, maps and music built up across more than four hundred years, and it is the largest library in Ireland. The Old Library, the eighteenth century building whose long chamber is itself a visitor attraction, houses the Department of Early Printed Books and Special Collections and the exhibition through which most people meet the Book of Kells.

The atlas records the library as a custodian of manuscripts and not as a religious institution. Trinity College is a university; the books that bring it into this atlas are Christian gospel books made in Irish monastic scriptoria four hundred years before the college existed. Keeping those two facts distinct, the holder and the held, is the reason this atlas records libraries as their own category, apart from religious institutions.

Cross-Tradition Connections

Article On

Sources
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.