The library the Holy See keeps is older than its founding document. Nicholas V, pope from 1447 to 1455, decided that the Latin, Greek and Hebrew manuscripts gathered in Rome should be made available for scholars to read and to study, and the collection grew from about 350 manuscripts to roughly 1,200 in his lifetime. What Sixtus IV added in 1475 was the institution rather than the books: a papal bull, Ad decorem militantis Ecclesiae, dated 15 June, a named librarian in Bartolomeo Platina, and the money to pay for the work. The library opened as four rooms, the Latin, the Greek, the Secret and the Pontifical, and by 1481 it held close to 3,500 manuscripts.
The rooms it occupies now were built for it under Sixtus V late in the sixteenth century, and it has kept an unbroken line of librarians and prefects since. Its holdings today run to more than 180,000 manuscripts and archival units, about 1.6 million printed books, some 9,000 incunabula, over 300,000 coins and medals and more than 150,000 prints.
The atlas holds the library as a custodian of texts and not as a religious body in itself. That distinction matters here more than it does at a museum, because the institution and the church that owns it are not separable, and a reader should be able to see which of the two any given fact belongs to. What the library does with the manuscripts, catalogue them, conserve them, and publish them progressively in digital facsimile, is the part recorded here.