Fuji was inscribed by UNESCO in 2013 as a cultural site. The reasoning is the interesting part.
The rejected nomination
Japan had previously sought listing as a natural site. That attempt did not succeed, and one substantial reason was litter: Fuji had a serious waste problem on its trails and slopes, and its condition would not support a natural inscription.
The successful 2013 nomination changed the argument entirely: Fujisan, sacred place and source of artistic inspiration.
What was actually listed
Twenty-five component parts, and the mountain is only one of them. The others include:
- Shrines, principally Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha and its subsidiaries.
- Lava tree moulds and caves used for ascetic practice by the Fuji-ko confraternities.
- The pilgrim routes up the mountain.
- Lake Kawaguchi and the pine grove at Miho no Matsubara, some forty-five kilometres away, included because it is the viewpoint from which Fuji was painted.
That last inclusion is the clearest statement of the logic. A pine grove nearly fifty kilometres from the mountain is part of the World Heritage Site because of the pictures made from it: the site being listed is the mountain as seen and represented, not the volcano.
The case rested on Fuji's place in worship, poetry and printmaking: the Manyoshu, Hokusai's Thirty-six Views, Hiroshige, and the mountain's function as the most recognisable emblem of Japan.
The shrine
Everything above the eighth station is the sacred precinct of Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha, head of some thirteen hundred Sengen shrines, with a shrine at the summit.
The mountain enshrines Konohanasakuya-hime, a blossom princess associated with volcanoes and with childbirth, who in the mythological account proved her fidelity by giving birth inside a burning hut.
Shrine tradition places the founding in legendary antiquity; records confirm it only from the early ninth century, and the shrines at the foot were established substantially to pacify a mountain that erupted: Fuji was an active and dangerous volcano before it was a picturesque one, last erupting in 1707.
Women
Women were barred from the summit until the Meiji government abolished such exclusions by edict on 4 May 1872.
Two qualifications. The edict's wording addresses remaining practices rather than instituting a clean single-year change. And a woman named Tatsu Takayama had already climbed it in 1832, dressed as a man, with the help of a Fuji-ko group, so the ban was neither absolute in practice nor lifted cleanly.
The crowds
Around three hundred thousand climb in the short official season of July and August, in a queue that runs through the night so walkers reach the top for sunrise.
Yamanashi Prefecture introduced a charge, a daily cap and an overnight closure on the Yoshida route in 2024. The terms have been revised since, and any specific figure needs dating to be useful.