The Copper Scroll is the one Dead Sea Scroll found in place by an archaeological team rather than brought in by Bedouin, which is rare in this corpus and makes its find context secure. It came out of the cave in two rolls, corroded so hard that unrolling them would have shattered the metal.
Reading it took three years of argument about method and then a decision that cannot be undone. The scroll was sent to the Manchester College of Technology, where in 1955 and 1956 Professor H. Wright Baker cut it into twenty three longitudinal strips on a saw built for the purpose. That is how the text was recovered and why the object can never be rolled again, and the strips are what a visitor sees today. It has since been cleaned, cast and imaged at high resolution.
The text itself is unlike anything else in the corpus. It is neither scripture nor the rule of a community but a list of places where gold and silver were said to be hidden, with quantities attached. Whether it records real deposits, a temple treasury dispersed in a hurry, or something else entirely is still argued, and the readings of individual place names are argued along with it.
The scroll went first to the Palestine Archaeological Museum in Jerusalem, and then to Amman, where this museum holds it. That journey is short to describe and is the subject of the second article here, because it is not a simple change of address.